Friday, April 20, 2012

Batter Dipped Cauliflower


It occurred to me today, that I have ENERGY again.  I don’t feel like crawling into a ball and going to bed by 9am.  That was not a typo, I meant 9am...  I suppose much of this new energy is due to the fact that I do not have the constant urge to vomit, but most of that and the extra energy HAS to be attributed to the new way I have to eat.  How can you not have energy when you body isn’t wasting it all trying to digest what you put in it, no matter how small the quantity?  It has become glaringly obvious to me that the quality of what we eat is far more important than I ever imagined.  Eating no wheat (gluten), no meat, low fat, lower fiber and simple foods has yielded this energy that I haven’t felt in a very long time.  I wish I didn’t have to get sick as a dog for months to come to this realization, but some of us hit the snooze a bit too long and have to be shaken to be woken up.  I am just glad that I finally did wake up!  Now to get rid of the gnawing sore pain in my Right Upper Quadrant….

God is good…all the time!  All the time…God is good!  All God’s people say….AMEN!
Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. (Psalm 143:8)
 
The below recipe is one of my favorite comfort foods my Grandma likes to make and is her favorite treat as well.  Since her recipe calls for flour, I decided to modify for my stomach and was quite happy with the results.  Three out of three others polled agree, this is a tasty alternative.

Batter Dipped Cauliflower

Ingredients:
1/3 Cup Buckwheat Flour  
(not the same as wheat and gluten free I have learned recently )
1/3 Cup Chickpea Flour
1/3 Cup Rice Flour
1 tsp Vanilla
½ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Baking Powder
1 Egg
Sugar (to taste)
Milk for consistency
Cauliflower (works wonderfully with other veggies and fish as well)
Salt
Olive Oil (or preferred oil)

 

Directions:

Combine flours, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, egg, sugar and add milk until pancake batter consistency is reached.  Chop cauliflower into little pieces and mix into batter.  Each spoonful should be full of cauliflower. Heat oil in skillet and then add batter mix by the spoonful.  Lightly brown on the first side and then flip to other side and brown to cook through.  Remove cooked battered cauliflower from the skillet and salt each side and then leave to drain on paper towels.  Serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, new blog look! I like it!

    I am so glad to hear you are starting to feel better. And also happy to hear that you're having successes with the alternative flours. I certainly never did. New recipe book, perhaps??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, just playing. I only share what works....:)

    ReplyDelete