Friday, July 20, 2012

Not About You



Recently while on a family hike, my youngest Emily looked to Bob and said “Dad, did you get us lost?”

“No, I know right where we are.” He confidently replied.

“Well, it is always about you then isn’t it Dad.”

While this was a bit of a snarky remark for a four year old and certainly caught us off guard, I was in fact hearing my words come out of her little mouth.  I have been known more than once to remind my children that this world and often the things we have to accomplish are not solely about them.  When I hear a whine following my request to get ready to go visit someone they don’t want or to help their sister or brother on a task they would rather not, I quickly reply with “this is not about you and your needs right now. “  And they sulk their way through the task to completion.

I am guilty of not always listening to my own advice, as I am sure we all are from time to time.  It is very easy to forget that this world and our existence on this spinning globe is not all about us.  We are here for a greater purpose and though we may not be aware of the purpose today, someday it will be clear.  Getting distracted with daily tasks and routines can leave us feeling selfishly needy and move our focus from where it ought to be.  When we lose focus, we miss opportunities to help others and serve the Lord.  The Lord is large, perfect and easy to focus on and He has provided us with the perfect life map to follow while we are small, flawed and lost in our own selfishness much of the time. 

Good and gracious God, I am grateful for Your guidance and patience with my sometimes lost focus.  It is not about me and I am thankful that You never let me stay lost.

Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor. (1 Corinthians 10:24)

Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. (Galatians 6:2)

No comments:

Post a Comment