Monday, May 7, 2012

Easy Slow Cooker Peanut Chicken

The below recipe is one I adapted from an old Betty Crocker slow cooker recipe book I bought at a yard sale years ago.  The original recipe is here.    I prefer to not use bone in chicken in the slow cooker because I have found that the process will loosen some smaller bones.  With small children, I am weary of little bones in my dishes.  Our adaptations also call for more ginger, peanut butter and salsa and with these changes the kids LOVE this meal.  If the kids love it and it is healthy, we love it too.

Ingredients:
2lbs Chicken Breast or Thighs (Skin and Bone Removed) *
1 Cup Salsa
1/3 Cup Peanut Butter
1 Tb Fresh Grated Ginger
2 Tb Lime Juice (About 2 Limes worth)
1 Tb Soy Sauce (I use Gluten Free)
½ Cup Chopped Peanuts
¼ Cup Fresh Chopped Cilantro

Directions:
Combine all ingredients except for peanuts and cilantro in crock pot and cook on low for 8-9hrs or high for 4-5 hrs.  Remove from pot put on platter, pour any extra sauce over chicken and top with peanuts and fresh cilantro.  Serve with rice or rice pilaf. 


*Chicken breasts, though less fatty, do soak up most of the sauce so if you prefer the chicken breast I recommend increasing the amount other ingredients used in the sauce. 


Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation—(1Peter 2:2)



2 comments:

  1. I love this recipe. I am tempted to try it again because I feel like my nut allergies (irritations?) haven't been as bothersome lately. I have to do some testing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. the thing that drew me to this was the word "Easy" :) thanks laura i'm going to try this out this week.

    ReplyDelete