Thursday, March 8, 2012

Dance Like a Child

When my middle child, Abby, was 3 years old I took her to sign up for her first dance class.  Abby has since decided that the frills and glitter that go with dancing are not her style, but at the time it was one of the biggest events in her week.  As we were entering the building for her first class, dance bag and shoes in tow, Abby announced to me, “I am pretty sure they are going to love my dance moves.”

Imagine entering every new experience and every new challenge with the confidence of a young child.  A child that sings out in public, asks questions without the fear of being laughed at and holds a faith that is unabashed.   One of my favorite praise songs (by Darrell Evans) sings:
 
"Teach me to have a child-like heart
Free me to be undignified
Teach me to have a child-like heart
Free me to dance all over my pride
Gonna dance like a child, Sing like a so
Abandon myself to the Holy one to the Holy one”
 
So many times as adults we withhold our child-like tendencies.  The change seems to start  in young adulthood, as I am witnessing with my oldest now in Middle School.  He is afraid to speak up about things that once he was quick to share with everyone.  We become acutely aware of our surroundings outside of the home and realize that not everyone thinks the same as us and we wonder, “What if the way I am thinking or the way I react is wrong?”  As we continue to grow and mature, we accept that not everyone will think and do as us, but then the fear of offending other’s differences enters the game and again we resist the urge to share, dance and live our thoughts freely. 

However, the Bible clearly states that if we do not change and become like children we will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven.  Certainly, the implication was not that we need to revert to childish misbehaviors, but rather live freely in our faith.  SING HIS PRAISES and not care that anyone is or isn’t listening, DANCE IN FAITH and not worry about whether the moves are right or smooth and  LIVE HIS LOVE without fear of offense for He is the way, the truth and the life.  Today I challenge you to dance your pride aside and let His love move your feet, your arms and your heart.  And if someone sees you dancing and asks what you are doing, don’t be afraid to let them know exactly what it is, just as a child of three would let you know her dance moves are nothing short of awesome.
 
 
And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, 
you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.”    - Matthew 18:3
 


 


1 comment: