Monday, March 19, 2012

Warmed by the Son

Emily, my youngest, turned four this past October.   Everything that she spoke of that day revolved around her birthday, being four and what people might think about that.  Emily giggled in everything thing she did, she squealed when family called and she made sure to announce to everyone that she is now four. I asked her that morning, “How does it feel to be four?” 

Emily’s reply was nothing short of her usual style.  “Well, the sun seems a bit hotter today.” 
I questioned, “Really?  Why is that?”

“Well I suppose I grew a bit.  Now that I am four I think I might like spicy things too.”

While spicy food might have to wait, her desire to grow and be bigger is always present, as seems to be the case with the youngest children in most families.  However, that day Emily felt tall.  She felt closer to the sun and she felt warmer because of it. 
There are many days that I would like to feel warmer and closer to the Son.  There are many days that I feel the cold distance of my own sin and resistance.  Many days I know I am my own worst enemy, letting the evil one’s words enter my mind, knowing that I should tell him to shut up and leave me be by opening my bible and letting God’s words take over.   I know I am not alone in having these days.  On those days we should remember what it is to be four, to grow closer to the Son and to walk a little taller knowing that He Is on our side.

Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.  Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom.  Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.  -  James 4:7-10


No comments:

Post a Comment