Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Need a Hug?


While driving in the car with my middle child Abby, I looked back in the rear-view mirror to see her cuddling herself, arms crossed around her midsection.  

“Are you okay Abby?  Do you feel sick, should I pull over?”  I inquired.

“No Mom, I am fine.  I just felt Jesus hugging me and I wanted to hug him back.”

As the tears welled in my eyes and the chills wrapped my body, I smiled and for a short time was speechless.  How wonderful to be so open to Him that you can FEEL His arms around you.  As adults, we often get caught up in our duties and selfish obligations and forget that He is there, hugging us as needed.  So many times I have felt alone in my tasks or day.  So many times I have yearned to have someone to talk to, to share with or to listen to my stories or problems of that day.  So many times I have reached for someone to understand me.  So many times I have obliviously ignored Him as He sat by my side, ready for whatever I needed.  

Much of the problem is that this world is full of people that disappoint us and let us down, including ourselves.  We find it hard to lean on any one person for long, because they inevitably will fall and take us with them if we don’t fall and take them down first.   The idea that there is someone that is selflessly there ALL the time, WHENEVER we need Him is a foreign idea to most of us.  Trusting that He is at the ready with an open ear and warm embrace when we need does not come as naturally as it should, but He is there and He will NEVER let us fall.  When we feel alone, it is due to our own misguidance because when we are in our darkest hour, He is there hugging us, carrying us and listening to us.  How awesome is that?!
 
Need a Hug?



Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
 - Isaiah 41:10 




4 comments: