Monday, March 12, 2012

Wants and Needs

While having lunch with Emily a few weeks ago, she informed me that there is a big difference between wants and needs.  I asked her, “What is the difference?”

“Well, no one told me that part,” she quickly replied.

Most of us have been brought up being taught the distinct difference between wants and needs.  The lesson is usually taught to us as children after we have asked for something deemed frivolous by our parents.   Quite obviously there is a lot we do not need for survival on this world that we desire anyway.   The fact that chocolate is not required to keep us alive will not deter most of us from NEEDING a piece every now and then (or daily in my case).  As children this is a hard lesson to learn and I admit it hasn’t gotten easier in adulthood.  How can it be that I don’t NEED a bigger house, more money, more clothing, a tropical vacation?  Often it feels as if my very survival hinges on being able to purchase the latest technological device or at the very least new curtains for the living room because I will DIE if I have to look at the same ratty old ones for one more day.  However, clearly these are not things any of us need to get through to the next morning.  Sometimes though, what we desire is as simple as an answer to what is making us sick, or why we have lost someone we love all too soon.   Don’t we need those answers to move on and to move forward?  How can we live on this Earth without understanding, isn’t that a need?

God knows the path and the plan that is in place for each and every one of us.  Each of the hairs on our head are numbered.  He knows our hearts desires and He knows what is needed at all times.  With the little glimpse of this world that we have here on earth, how can we possibly expect to know what we need?  Without the knowledge that God has, why do we often presume to know what we need?  Proverbs 3:5-6 states “Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.” Ours is not to ask why, when or how but to trust that it is and will be because He is and always has been. 

A Meet and Greet with Bob and Larry...when did they sprout arms?
Here is one of God's creatures working hard on his need for a nest.

2 comments:

  1. You know there are plenty of good medical reasons to NEED chocolate every single day! I like to remember those when I the M&M's taunt me at work. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medically, I think my sanity needs them. A piece of chocolate a day keeps the crazies away!

      Delete