Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Move


The Hottest June in Years in Texas
When Abby was 5 years old, we were planning a trip to Texas to visit Abuela.  While scrambling and packing for the trip Abby helped me with my list.  Sunscreen…Check.  Books…Check.  Vitamins…Check.  Socks and underwear…Check.  Swimsuits….opps!  We almost forgot our swimsuits.   Abby then informed me, “Remember all the stuff you need because that plane won’t turn around for you.”

Just as a plane will not turn around for us to gather our forgotten items, life moves forward at all times.  There are no options to go back and redo what was done wrong, take back words that were said, or change choices that were made.  Our transgressions have happened and we cannot undo what is done.  Always looking behind us makes it difficult to see the beauty of what lies ahead.  The muck of the past can often taint the glory of the present.

Run!  No looking back!
When we board the plane and realize we forgot out swimsuit, there is nothing we can do from where we are.  The same is true in life.  When we make a mistake, we cannot undo what was done, but rather decide a solution from the here and now.  On the plane, we can fret about the missing suit, complaining about time and inconvenience, or we can quickly decide to purchase a new swimsuit when we land.  In life, we can choose to sulk about what was said, what we do not have or what should have happened or we can choose to move forward from the past to the present. 

Such Style  and Coolness
We have all made mistakes that we regret.   I have been known to have a sharp tongue that can and has cut deeper then intended.  I have the ability to hurt with my words quickly and efficiently and have done so more times that I care to admit.   I have spent many hours brooding about what I said, what I should have said and what others said.  We can never go back to the moment of impact, but we can certainly try to repair the damage.  The sooner we look at the now, the sooner things can heal.   The best part is the quicker we get out of the past the more time we have to enjoy the now.

While I enter each plane ride and each day of life, hoping to not forget my swim suit or cut with my words, mistakes happen.  It is up to us to realize that the plane will not turn around for you and neither will this life.  Move on, move forward and just MOVE!


Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you….. Ephesians 4:31-32 ESV 



2 comments:

  1. I needed to hear this today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good lesson for a lot of people I know (including myself, naturally.) I think it needs to be on the fridge, or in big letters over the TV. :)

    ReplyDelete