Friday, March 16, 2012

Prison Van

During lunch one summer afternoon, Alex (9 at the time), with a serious look on his face, announced he had been thinking about something.  Continuing, Alex stated that he had an image of a prison van with bars on the windows and doors, loaded to capacity with prisoners in dirty, dingy, stained clothing.  Dirt smeared faces peer out the back door as a man arrives with a key and gently turns the lock to open the door.  Each prisoner cautiously exits the van and as they do their clothes are changed from dirty to a pristine, crisp clean.  Alex then looked at me and said, “Mom, those prisoners are us, trapped in our sin.  The man with the key is Jesus and only He can release us from those sins. “

Most of the time, my children’s stories are not so complete and poignant.  Most of the time, the stories involve wolves, imaginary friends or multiple friends from school.   But this time, Alex shared a story that gave me chills and warmed my heart at the same time. 
We have all been trapped in our own sin, looking for a door to open and let us out.  But how many of us will take the hand of Jesus when He opens the door for us?  How many of us try to fix things ourselves, to take control of what is not ours to control?  Why is it so hard to just give Him our problems?  JESUS DIED FOR OUR SINS long ago as a gift from God.  Why is it so hard for us to graciously accept that gift?  If my Aunt gave me a sweater for Christmas, I would never throw it back at her and say, “No, I can stay warm myself thank you.”   So, why do we think it is okay to say to our Creator, Savior and Father in Heaven, “I know you died for our sins and salvation, and I know you said my problems are Yours and all I have to do is trust and accept You, but I think I got this whole living life thing on my own.  Thanks anyway.” 
As He carried the cross, He carried our crosses.  As He cried out and breathed His last breath of life on this Earth, He did it so we could live.  Will you let Jesus release you from the prison of sin and let Him carry your cross?
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.  - Ephesians 2:8-9

1 comment:

  1. You have a way with giving the Lords Word to others, I think your son must follow suit! (Beautiful photo too, btw.)

    ReplyDelete