Wednesday, March 14, 2012

No Bake Sweet and Salty Peanut Butter Bars


Growing up, my Mom was a single, hard working Mother for most of my childhood.  Working long days to support my sister and me, she was not given the luxury of being home when we returned from school or having free time to indulge our latest interests.  I know that she would often switch jobs in hopes that the new one would allow her more time to spend with us, but the expense of feeding and clothing two growing girls often outweighed the value of the little time she had acquired.  We did have many great times together, camping and swimming in mountain lakes, yard sale hopping on a Saturday morning, and going to the library in search of the latest adventure to get lost in.

My Mom worked hard for each and every thing we had, and I appreciate the sacrifice of each summer day she had to drag herself to work when she rather take us to Lincoln Park for a picnic.  I am  blessed to be home with my kids and share so many moments with them, but I am extremely blessed to have a Mother that sacrificed so much for me and gave me the love I needed so I could share that with my children today.  

May she who gave you birth be happy. ~ Proverbs 23:25



The kids and I recently tried the following recipe and LOVED the outcome.  While simple to create, the taste is rich and a great balance of sweet and salty as the name suggests.  YUM!  The original recipe can be found here: No Bake Sweet and Salty Peanut Butter Bars




No-Bake Sweet & Salty Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars

Ingredients:
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 2 cups creamy peanut butter, divided
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar, divided
  • 4 cups (roughly ½-inch pieces), broken small pretzel twist, divided
  • 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels, divided

Directions:

LINE 13 x 9-inch baking pan with foil leaving an overhang on two sides. Lightly spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.


BEAT 1 1/4 cups peanut butter and butter in large mixer bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in 1 cup powdered sugar. Stir in remaining 1 cup powdered sugar, 3 cups pretzel pieces and 1/2 cup morsels. Press evenly into prepared baking pan. Smooth top with spatula.





MICROWAVE remaining 1 1/2 cups morsels and 3/4 cup peanut butter in medium, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 45 seconds; STIR. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until morsels are melted. Spread chocolate layer evenly over powdered sugar mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining pretzel pieces, pressing down lightly. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until firm. Lift from pan; peel off foil. Cut into 60 pieces. Store in covered container in refrigerator.



2 comments:

  1. Awwww. I can't have this because of the peanut butter! But it looks GOOOOOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now I'm catching on to the complete meaning of your blog title. I LIKE IT EVEN MORE NOW!

    ReplyDelete